Ellis Wins 200m & Jones Long Jump At MPSF T&F Championships|
Feb. 24, 2017
Kendall Ellis won the women’s 200m with a meet-record time and Margaux Jones won the women’s long jump for the second consecutive year during the first day of action at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Indoor Track & Field Championships held at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle, Wash. today (Feb. 24). USC also had eight athletes advance to finals tomorrow. After the first day, USC’s women’s team is in first place with 51 points and the men’s team is in fifth place with 21 points.
• Kendall Ellis won the women’s 200m dash with meet and track-record time of 23.09. Destinee Brown was second with a time of 23.84 and Kyra Constantine was fourth with a PR of 24.04. Together they teamed to earned USC 23 points in the team competition.
• Margaux Jones won the MPSF women’s long jump title for the second consecutive season with a jump of 20-5.75 (6.24m). Courtney Corrin was third in the women’s long jump with a leap of 19-8.25 (6.00m) and Madisen Richards was fourth with a best jump of 19-3.25 (5.87m). The trio earned USC 21 points in the team competition.
• Brittany Mann was the first Trojan to score by placing sixth in the women’s weight throw with a season-best mark of 63-3.25 (19.28m). That mark improved her USC school record in the event. She earned the Trojans its first three points.
• In the pentathlon high jump, Lopes cleared 5-4.50 (1.64m) to tie for sixth and earn 783 points. Harmon-Thomas cleared 5-3.25 (1.61m) to tie for eighth and earn 747 points.
• In the pentathlon shot put, Lopes had a mark of 34-3.50 (10.45m) to finish 11th in the event to earn 559 points. Harmon-Thomas had a mark of 33-2.50 (10.12m) to finish 14th in the event and earn 537 points.
• In the pentathlon long jump, Lopes jumped 17-11 (5.46m) and Harmon-Thomas a PR of 18-4.25 (5.59m). They earned 688 and 726 points respectively.
• In the pentathlon 800m, Lopes earned 688 points with a time of 2:30.39 and Harmon-Thomas earned 566 points with a season-best time of 2:40.61.
• Zyaire Clemes was second by .01 in the first heat of the men’s 200m and second overall with a time of 21.05. He earned the men’s team eight points.
• Nathan Bultman took fourth in the men’s weight throw with a mark of 62-6.75 (19.07m) to earn five points. David Sellens placed 11th with a best mark of 58-1.75 (17.72m).
• Dominic Smallwood had a big PR of 25-2.00 (7.67m) to place second in the men’s long jump. He earned eight points in the team competition and also moved to eighth on USC’s all-time indoor list.
• Dior Hall, Anna Cockrell and Jasmyne Graham all won their 60m hurdles heats to advance to the finals tomorrow. Hall ran 8.13 as did Cockrell who tied her PR, and Graham had a time of 8.23. Hall and Cockrell had the fastest qualifying times and Graham was the fifth-fastest of the qualifiers.
• Marquis Morris won his men’s 60m hurdles heat and had the top time to the finals tomorrow of 7.83.
• Just’N Thymes matched his PR with a time of 6.69 in the men’s 60m prelims. He won his heat and had the fastest qualifying time.