USC Wins 8 Individual Events & All 4 Relays At Trojan Invitational|
March 18, 2017
USC won eight individual events and all four relays during the final day of the Trojan Invitational today (March 18). Trojan individual winners were Amalie Iuel (W-400m), Kendall Ellis (W-200m), Brittany Mann (W-Shot Put), Destinee Brown (W-100m), Dior Hall (W-100m Hurdles), Margaux Jones (W-Long Jump), Marquis Morris (M-110m Hurdles) and Nick Ponzio (M-Shot Put).
• Iuel won the women’s 400m by over two seconds with a PR of 51.81. Her time is a Norwegian record in the event and move Iuel from 10th to fifth on USC’s all-time list. Kyra Constantine was second with a time of 53.95 and Kayla Richardson was third with a PR of 54.62.
• Ellis won the women’s 200m with a PR of 22.79 (+1.5) to move into sixth on USC’s all-time list in the event. The Trojans posted the seven-fastest times in the event as Ellis was followed by Iuel at 23.46 (+1.0), Ky Westbrook at 23.49 (+1.5), Anna Cockrell at 23.60 (+1.5), Destinee Brown at 23.85 (+1.5), Hall at 23.90 (+1.0) and Cameron Pettigrew at 23.97 (+1.5). Other Trojans running were Jasmyne Graham (13th, PR of 24.58), Zaria Francis (14th, 24.60), Margaux Jones (16th, 24.76), Lyndsey Lopes (22nd, 25.10), Madisen Richards (30th, 26.13) and Alexa Harmon-Thomas (32nd, 26.56).
• Morgan placed second in the men’s 200m dash with a time of 20.97 (+1.0).
• Mann won the women’s shot put by nearly seven feet with a mark of 53-3.00 (16.23m). Her throw moved her to sixth on USC’s all-time shot put list. Tanya Sapa placed fourth with a mark of 44-9.50 (13.65m).
• Ponzio won the men’s shot put with a best mark of 62-7.75 (19.09m), which came in his first attempt. Matthew Katnik took second and was just off a personal best with a mark of 61-7.00 (18.77m).
• Brown won the women’s 100m dash with a time of 11.52 (+0.8). Francis was fourth with a time of 11.77 (+0.8), Jones was 10th with a time of 12.00 (+0.6) and Richards was 18th with a time of 12.28 (+1.3).
• Hall won the women’s 100m hurdles with a time of 13.31 (+0.6). It was her first outdoor race since injuring her left knee in 2015. Graham took second with a time of 13.37 (+0.6), Lopes was sixth at 14.16 (+0.6) and Harmon-Thomas 12th at 14.77 (+0.6).
• Morris won the men’s 110m hurdles with a time of 13.91 (-0.6), 0.45 seconds faster than the second-place finisher.
• Jones won the women’s long jump with a best leap of 19-11.50/16.08m (-0.1). Lopes finished fourth with a jump of 18-3.75/5.58m (-0.1) and Harmon-Thomas was seventh with a best jump of 18-1.75/5.53m (+0.0). Richards fouled on all three attempts.
• The women’s 4x100m relay “A” team of Francis, Westbrook, Brown and Hill got the running portion of the meet rolling by winning with a time of 44.24. USC’s “B” team of Hall, Ellis, Graham and Pettigrew took second with a time of 44.86.
• The men’s 4x100m relay team of Morris, Just’N Thymes, Morgan and T.J. Brock followed by winning with a time of 39.31. That was the fastest time by a USC 4x100m relay since the 2015 NCAA Championships.
• USC had seven runners compete in the women’s 1500m race and were led by Vivian Grimes who placed eighth with a PR of 4:37.65. Other Trojans women in the 1500m were Chloe Berry (9th, 4:39.52), Madison Ricks (14th, PR of 4:44.58), Mikaela Smith (17th, 4:45.20), Amber Gore (18th, PR of 4:46.80), Lorea Ibarzabal (21st, 4:48.98) and Lauren Maurer (24th, 4:52.47).
• Dominic Smallwood continued his hot jumping with a PR of 25-2.75/7.69m (+0.0) to place second in the men’s long jump. Eric Sloan was fourth with a best jump of 24-5.00/7.44m (+0.0) and Jadon Joyner was 13th with a jump of 21-6.25/6.56m (-0.3). Joyner also took 10th in the men’s triple jump with a best jump of 42-11.50/13.09m (+1.4). Joyner had a busy day, also placing ninth in the 100m dash with a time of 10.86 (-0.3).
• Ibarzabal took 11th in the women’s 800m race with a time of 2:15.82, Grimes was 15th at 2:18.69, Berry 16th at 2:19.81 and Kamryn Weber was 18th at 2:22.22.
• Lopes had a PR of 126-9 (38.64m) in the women’s javelin throw and Harmon-Thomas was 15th at 96-7 (29.45m). • Michael Gonzalez cleared 15-9 (4.80m) in his first pole vault competition as a Trojan. He finished seventh in the event.
• USC closed the meet with a pair of wins in the 4x400m relays. The women’s team of Iuel, Cockrell, Kayla Richardson and Smith had a time of 3:38.55 and the men’s team of Morgan, Morris, Rohani and Thymes had a time of 3:06.57. The USC men won by more than seven seconds and posted its best time in the event since the 2012 NCAA Championships.