Lopes Is 3rd & Harmon-Thomas 8th In Pac-12 Heptathlon; Norwitz Is 8th In Decathlon|
May 6, 2017
Lyndsey Lopes is in third and Alexa Harmon-Thomas in eighth in the heptathlon and Daniel Norwitz is in eighth place in the decathlon after Day 1 of the 2017 Pac-12 Multi-Events Championships held at the Whyte Track & Field Center in Corvallis, Ore. today (May 6). Lopes had a season-best 3248 points on the first day and sits 104 points out of first place. Harmon-Thomas has 3013 points and Norwitz 3179 points. The final three events of the heptathlon and final five of the decathlon will begin tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.
• Lopes began the day by winning the 100m hurdles with a PR of 13.87 (+0.6) to earn 997 points. Harmon-Thomas finished sixth in the event with a season-best time of 14.66 (+1.2) to earn 887 points.
• Norwitz began his day with a time of 11.67 (+0.8) to finish eighth in the men’s 100m dash. He earned 717 points in the events.
• Lopes then tied for first in the high jump with a clearance of 5-6.50 (1.69m) to earn 842 points. Harmon-Thomas cleared 5-4.25 (1.63m) to tie for sixth in the event and earn 771 points. After two events Lopes led by 27 points with 1839 and Harmon-Thomas was in seventh with 1658 points.
• Norwitz’ best long jump was his first attempt which went 20-11.50 (6.39m) which earned him 673 points. He finished eighth in the event and stood eighth after two events.
• Norwitz best shot put attempt of 32-6.25 (9.91m) came in his final attempt to earn 480 points. He remained in eighth place with 1870 points, 118 out of seventh.
• The shot put was a tough event for Lopes as she had a best mark of 31-6.75 (9.62m) which placed 13th and earned 505 points. Harmon-Thomas had a PR of 35-5.25 (10.80m) in her final attempt to finish seventh in the shot put and earn 582 points. After three events, Lopes was in fifth with 2344 points and Harmon-Thomas was seventh with 2240 points.
• Lopes finished the day strong by winning the 200m dash with a season-best time of 24.81 (-1.8) to earn 904 points. Harmon-Thomas had a PR of 26.28 to finish 10th overall and earn 773 points.
• Norwitz entered the high jump competition at 6-2.00 (1.88m) and cleared it in his third attempt, then cleared 6-3.25 (1.91m) and 6-4.25 (1.94m) in his first attempts to move into second in the event. He then missed all three attempts at 6-5.50 (1.97m) to finish second in the event and earn 749 points. He remained in eighth, but crept up to within 39 points of seventh place.
• The final event on the day was the decathlon 400m dash and Norwitz finished eighth with a time of 55.97 to earn 560 points. He lost a lot of ground in the event and now is 246 points out of seventh with five events remaining.