Ellis & Norman Break Their USC 400m Records At USA T&F Championships|
June 23, 2017
Kendall Ellis broke her USC women’s 400m record and Michael Norman broke his school freshman men’s 400m record in qualifying for finals tomorrow during the second day of the USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships held in Sacramento, Calif. today (June 23). In addition, Anna Cockrell advanced to the women’s 400m hurdles semifinal tomorrow and USC alumni Nia Ali (100m hurdles), Dalilah Muhammad (400m hurdles), Bryshon Nellum (400m) and Jaide Stepter (400m hurdles) all advanced to races tomorrow, while Allyson Felix and BeeJay Lee reached the USA 100m finals.
At the USA Junior Track & Field Championships held earlier in the day in Sacramento, T.J. Brock placed second in the men’s 100m to make the USA team for the Pan Am Games in Lima, Peru from July 21-23.
• Kendall Ellis broke her school by running 50.24 to take second in her women’s 400m semifinal heat to automatically advance to the final tomorrow. Ellis bettered her previous school record of 50.45 set at the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds on May 26. Her time is also the fourth-fastest in the world this season. Cameron Pettigrew had a time of 52.22 to place eighth in the same semifinal heat and finished 13th overall.
• Michael Norman broke his USC freshman record by running 44.60 to place third in his 400m semifinal heat to qualify third overall to the final tomorrow. His time also moves him to third place on USC’s all-time 400m list. Ricky Morgan Jr. had a time of 46.43 to finish eighth in the second heat and 16th overall. Bryshon Nellum (USC, 2013) was second in the second semifinal with a time of 45.05 to also automatically advance to the final tomorrow.
• Deanna Hill took eighth in her 100m semifinal heat and finished 16th overall with a time of 11.45 (-1.2). Allyson Felix (USC, 2008) placed eighth in the women’s 100m final with a time of 11.28 (+0.3). She took third in her semifinal heat and finished fifth overall with a time of 11.22 (-0.7) to advance to the final.
• BeeJay Lee (USC, 2015) placed fifth in the men’s 100m final with a time of 10.11 (-0.7). He was coming on strong at the finish and if it was 105m he may have qualified for Team USA. He advanced to the final by placing third in his heat and fourth overall with a time of 10.16 (-1.4) in the semifinal earlier in the day.
• Dior Hall hit a hurdle and tumbled down before finishing with a time of 23.55 (-1.7) to place 6th in her 100m hurdles first-round heat and 24th overall. Nia Ali (USC, 2011) won the heat and was third overall with a time of 12.74 (-1.7) and Melia Cox (USC, 2015) was fifth in the same heat and 17th overall with a time of 13.43 (-1.7).
• Anna Cockrell advanced to tomorrow’s women’s 400m hurdles semifinals by advancing out of the first round with a time of 55.66. Her time was third-best in her heat and seventh overall. Jaide Stepter (USC, 2016) also advanced by taking fourth in the same heat and eighth overall with a time of 55.67. Dalilah Muhammad (USC, 2012) won the first heat and qualified first overall with a time of 54.36.
• Reggie Wyatt (USC, 2013) just missed making the men’s 400m hurdles semifinal as he ran 50.37 to finish 17th. He was .001 behind the final qualifier for the semifinal.
• Eric Sloan placed 11th in the men’s triple jump with a best leap of 51-9/15.77 (+1.0) which he jumped in his first attempt. He fouled in his second attempt and by the time his third attempt came up he had slid to 11th and he passed.
At the USA Junior Championships: • Brock qualified for the USA team in the 100m dash for the Pan Am games this summer by taking second in the men’s 100m final with a time of 10.33 (-1.1). Brock reached the finals by taking second in his heat and fourth overall in the semifinals with a time of 10.41 (-0.4) earlier in the day.
• Zaria Francis placed seventh in the women’s 100m final with a time of 11.73 (-1.5). She had reached the finals by taking third in her semifinal heat with a time of 11.50 (+1.1) earlier in the day.
• USC signee Zachary Shinnick also advanced to tomorrow’s USA Juniors 400m final.