USC vs. Notre Dame: Postgame Notes|
USC defeats Notre Dame, 49-14
Nov. 29, 2014
Final Stats |
USC vs. Notre Dame
LA Memorial Coliseum | Los Angeles, Calif.
Saturday, Nov. 29, 2014
- USC improves to 35-45-5 against Notre Dame (not including Troy's 2005 victory later vacated due to NCAA penalty) ... USC improves to 12-13-1 against unranked Notre Dame teams, to 4-8 when both teams are unranked and to 17-20-4 against Notre Dame following the UCLA game.
- USC's 49 points was the second most ever by the Trojans in the series (record: 55-24 win in 1974) and USC's 35 first downs was a Notre Dame opponent record as well.
- USC Jr. QB Cody Kessler's six TD passes (one shy of his school-record seven TD passes) is the most ever in the USC-Notre Dame series and an Irish opponent record. The previous Trojan high vs. Notre Dame was five by Matt Leinart (2004).
- Kessler has now thrown at least one TD pass in 22 of 26 games, at least two TDs 14 times and four or more TDs seven times (including six times this year). He now has 36 TD passes this season, tied for third on USC's career chart (the record is 39).
- His career-record 32 completions gives him 292 this year, putting him fourth on USC's all-time season list. With his 372 passing yards, Kessler is now sixth on USC's season passing chart (3505).
- Kessler's five first-half TD passes ties the school record for most in a half, matching his effort against Colorado on Oct. 18 (he finished with a USC record seven that day) as well as efforts by Matt Barkley (who did it three times) and Mark Sanchez (who did it once).
- Kessler had a streak of 16 straight completed passes during the game ... He passed for over 300 yards for the sixth time this year, seventh of his career ... He has 25 TD passes in last six games.
- USC Jr. WR George Farmer's 48-yard TD reception in the first quarter was a career long catch. He also had a 31-yard TD reception in the first quarter, giving him his first multi-TD game in his Trojan career, four TDs this year, and he has three TD catches in his last three games. His 85 receiving yards was a career-high.
- USC Jr. WR Nelson Agholor finished with 12 receptions for 120 yards, including a second-quarter 14-yard TD catch, his team-best 11th this year. He now has 97 receptions this year, good for fourth on USC's all-time season chart ... Agholor's went over 100 yards receiving for the fifth time this year.
- True freshman Adoree' Jackson, who started today both on offense (WR) and defense (CB), is the first Trojan to do so since at least the late 60s (when starting records began to be reliably kept).
- Adoree' Jackson's 1st-quarter 16-yard TD reception was his second this year and the first since USC's home opener against Fresno State ... He played 35 snaps on defense, six on offense, and eight on special teams.
- Andre Heidari, with his seven successful PATs, broke Pac-12 career records today for PAT attempts (187) and PATs made (181). The previous Pac-12 record holder for both marks was USC's Ryan Killeen, who made 176 of 180 PATs between 2002-04.
- Redshirt junior running back Buck Allen had 110 all-purpose yards today, making him the only player in the nation with 12 games of 100-plus yards from scrimmage (rushing and receiving) in 2014. He has 15 consecutive such games dating back to 2013.
- Senior safety Gerald Bowman's second quarter interception was his second this year.
- Senior LB J.R. Tavai had 3.5 sacks, tying his season total of 3.5 coming into today's game.
- Senior TE Randall Telfer caught his second TD pass today, nine yards in the 3rd quarter.
- So. WR Darreus Rogers' 6-yard second-quarter TD catch was his fourth this year.
- So. TB Justin Davis' 16-yard 3rd-quarter TD run was his fourth rushing score this year.
- USC played today's game with 56 recruited scholarship players suited up.
- USC started five true freshmen today on offense and two on defense (including Jackson on both sides).
- This is USC's 1200th game today.
- USC has not allowed an opponent to score on its opening drive in any game this year.
- USC has outscored its opponents in the first quarter this year, 157-36.
- Eleven USC true freshmen have played significant roles this year, including 8 who have combined for 52 starts.
- Today's attendance (79,586) is the smallest to see a USC-ND game at the Coliseum since 1986 (70,614).
- USC's 35 first-half points is its most in a half against Notre Dame since 1979.
- USC's margin of victory was the most in the series since it won 38-0 in 2007, the biggest for Troy in the series.
- The last time USC and Notre Dame played at 12:30 p.m. PT or earlier was a 12:30 p.m. PT start at Notre Dame in 2005. The last time the game started earlier was in 2003 (11:30 a.m. PT). The last 12:30 p.m. PT start between the schools at the Coliseum was 2000.