No. 23 USC vs. No. 22 UCLA - Postgame Notes|
Nov. 30, 2013
Final Stats |
USC Game Notes
UCLA Game Notes
- USC's edge in the series drops to 44-30-7 with only its third loss in the past 15 meetings and its first loss to UCLA at the Coliseum since 1997... This was the 16th time the USC-UCLA game was played over Thanksgiving weekend ... This was the fifth time in the last six games in which both schools wore their home jerseys.
- So. TB Javorius Allen's 11-yard second-quarter TD run was his team best 12th rushing score and team-best 13th on the season. It's also his 11th TD in the last five games (10 on the ground). Allen rushed for over 100 yards for the fourth time in the last five games. His 20 carries were his second most this year, behind 21 at Colorado.
- Sr. OLB Devon Kennard recorded his team-best ninth sack in the first quarter. He's had a tackle for loss in all but two games this year. Jr. OLB J.R. Tavai's fourth quarter sack gives him 3.5 this year.
- So. QB Cody Kessler has thrown at least one TD pass in six straight games and in 10 of the past 11, 11 of 13 on the year.
- Jr. TE Xavier Grimble's 22-yard TD catch in the third quarter was his second TD this year, 11th of his career.
- USC used just one sub on defense, the sixth time this year it has used three or fewer subs on defense in a game.
- UCLA's 35 points was its most at the Coliseum since a 45-20 win over USC in 1970. UCLA's 21-point win over USC was its biggest in the series since the same game.
- UCLA secured its first win against USC at the Coliseum since Nov. 22, 1997 (UCLA 31, USC 24) and the program's second consecutive victory against USC in two seasons under head coach Jim Mora.
- UCLA has won at least nine games for the second straight season, and for the first time since 1997 and 1998 (won 10 games each of those seasons).
- UCLA has improved to 16-0 under head coach Jim Mora when leading at halftime.
- UCLA has now recorded 19 seasons in which it has won more than eight games ... the Bruins are 9-3 overall ... UCLA has recorded seven seasons in which it has won more than nine games, most recently winning 10 games in 2005.
- UCLA's 21-point margin of victory is the Bruins' largest such margin against USC at the Coliseum in the all-time series between the crosstown rivals.
- UCLA's 21-point margin of victory over USC is the Bruins' largest such margin in the all-time series since defeating USC, 45-20, in 1970.
- UCLA has won four games in the month of November for the first time since 1959.
- Head coach Jim Mora has 18 wins in his first two seasons at the helm, the best two-year start for a UCLA head coach in program history (Tommy Prothro had 17 wins in 1965 & 1966).
- UCLA improved to 8-4 in true road games (4-2 this season) under Coach Mora ... last year, the Bruins won as many as four road games in a season for the first time since 2002 (4-2 on the road in 2012).
- Brett Hundley rushed for two touchdowns for the third time this season ... Hundley's total of nine rushing touchdowns this year equals his total from the 2012 season (tied for sixth place on UCLA's single-season QB rushing TD list).
- Brett Hundley finished with 80 rushing yards on 13 carries, marking the second time this season he has rushed for at least 80 yards (had a season-high 85 rushing yards at Utah on Oct. 3).
- Brett Hundley moved into fourth place on UCLA's single-season quarterback rushing yards list (587), passing Mark Harmon's 532-yard total from 1973 ... Hundley is three yards shy of Gary Beban's 590 rushing yards from 1965.
- Myles Jack registered his seventh rushing touchdown of the season in the first quarter ... Jack has rushed for at least one touchdown in each of the Bruins' last four games (did not carry the ball until UCLA's ninth game of the season, Nov. 2 at Arizona).
- Anthony Barr totaled 3.0 tackles for loss, moving into sixth place on UCLA's career TFL list (41.5) ... Barr stands 4.0 TFLs shy of tying UCLA's career record (45.5, Carnell Lake, 1985-88).
- Jordan Payton tied his season high with five receptions (totaled 34 receiving yards).
- Eddie Vanderdoes scored his first career touchdown (1-yd TD rush) in the second quarter.
- Cassius Marsh recorded two sacks, pushing his season total to six sacks ... Marsh's two sacks came on back-to-back plays in the first quarter.