No. 9 USC Men Edged Out 4-3 By No. 7 UCLA In Virginia|
Feb. 17, 2017
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. — The No. 9 USC men’s tennis team put up a fight but wound up just short of No. 7 UCLA in a tough Round of 16 matchup out at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va., today. USC snagged the first lead in picking up the doubles point and had the match tied up at 3-3 with one match still raging in a third set, but it was the Bruins who grabbed the clincher from court one to register the 4-3 win and take a spot in tomorrow’s quarterfinals. USC will face Utah State in the consolation bracket tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. ET.
The first victory of the day came from court two as Trojans Nick Crystal and Laurens Verboven notched a 6-3 win to open doubles play. UCLA responded with a 6-4 win on court three to heap pressure on court one — a theme that would pop back up later in the match. At the No. 1 spot, USC’s freshman tandem of Brandon Holt and Riley Smith turned the tables on Bruins Redlicki/Zhu, fighting out of an early 1-4 hole and winning it 7-5 to claim the double point for the Trojan cause.
In singles, UCLA struck first, evening the match at 1-1 on #19 Gage Brymer’s 6-1, 6-3 win over USC’s #36 Logan Smith. The Bruins would take a 2-1 lead when #112 Maxime Cressy topped USC’s #97 Rob Bellamy 6-3, 6-2 on court six, but the Trojans fired back. On court three, senior Nick Crystal kept to his winning ways in whipping up a 6-3, 7-5 (5) win over Evan Zhu, and things were locked up at 2-2. UCLA nudged back into the lead with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 comeback win from Austin Rapp over USC’s Thibault Forget, only to see #119 Jack Jaede made a similar move for the Trojans. He’d power back from a first-set hole to win his court five match over Logan Staggs 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, and all eyes turned to court one for the decider. There, USC freshman Brandon Holt had snagged the first set in a tense tiebreaker, but #73 Martin Redlicki regrouped from there. Redlicki would grab the next two sets from #13 Holt to claim a 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-4 comeback that secure a 4-3 win for the Bruins out in Virginia.
ITA NATIONAL TEAM INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
ROUND OF 16
#7 UCLA 4, #9 USC 3
Feb. 17, 2017 | Charlottesville, Va.
(1) #32 Holt/R. Smith (USC) def. #16 Redlicki/Zhu (UCLA) - 7-5
(2) #35 Crystal/Verboven (USC) def. Brymer/Cressy (UCLA) - 6-3
(3) Goldberg/Rapp (UCLA) def. Bellamy/Jaede (USC) - 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #73 Martin Redlicki (UCLA) def. #13 Brandon Holt (USC) - 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-4*
(2) #19 Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. #36 Logan Smith (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(3) Nick Crystal (USC) def. Evan Zhu (UCLA) - 6-3, 7-6 (5)
(4) Austin Rapp (UCLA) def. Thibault Forget (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
(5) #119 Jack Jaede (USC) def. Logan Staggs (UCLA) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
(6) #112 Maxime Cressy (UCLA) def. #97 Rob Bellamy (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 4, 5, 1