No. 7 USC Men Serve Up Sweep Of South Florida In Indian Wells|
March 17, 2017
INDIAN WELLS, CALIF. -- The No. 7 USC men's tennis team heated up for its eighth straight victory today, topping No. 32 South Florida 4-0 to open up action at the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Challenge out in Indian Wells, Calif. After collecting the doubles point, USC rattled off three straight-set singles win, getting a quick win from Brandon Holt before rapid-fire finishes from Logan Smith and then Riley Smith to secure victory for the Trojan cause. USC is now 16-2 overall on the year and turns to face No. 2 seeded Oklahoma tomorrow (March 18) in a 2 p.m. semifinal.
The No. 4 seeded Trojans clicked off a speedy 6-1 win on court three doubles to get the ball rolling for USC thanks to Rob Bellamy and Jack Jaede's efforts over USF's Kalyuzhnyy/Wojcik at the No. 3 spot. On court one, USC's #19 freshman pairing of Brandon Holt and Riley Smith cleaned up the doubles point for USC with a 6-4 win over USF's Gozun/Barroso-Campos, and USC was off to singles play with a 1-0 lead in-hand.
Holt and Riley Smith would remain in high gear for singles play. On court one, #16 Holt hit the finish line first with a smooth 6-4, 6-2 win over USF's Sasha Gozun to tack up a 2-0 lead for the Trojans. Next, the other half of that double duo swept through to a 6-0, 6-4 win on court six over Pierre Luquet, and the Trojans were poised for victory. A quick strike from Logan Smith seconds later finished it all off. The #45 sophomore whipped up the clincher with a 6-2, 6-3 win over USF's #92 Peter Bertran on court three, and that wrapped things up for the Trojans as play was suspended on the remaining courts with USC leading on the courts two, four and five.
Competition continues for the Trojans tomorrow (March 18) in semifinal play at 2 p.m. in Indian Wells.
2017 BNP PARIBAS OPEN COLLEGIATE CHALLENGE (Indian Wells, Calif.)
#7 USC 4, #32 South Florida 0
March 17, 2017 | Indian Wells, Calif.
(1) #19 Holt/R. Smith (USC) def. Gozun/Barroso-Campos (USF) - 6-4
(2) Crystal/Verboven (USC) vs. Bertran/Roberts (USF) - 4-5 susp.
(3) Bellamy/Jaede (USC) def. Kalyuzhnyy/Wojcik (USF) - 6-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1
(1) #16 Brandon Holt (USC) def. Sasha Gozun (USF) - 6-4, 6-2
(2) Nick Crystal (USC) vs. #122 Alberto Barroso-Campos (USF) - 6-2, 3-5 susp.
(3) #45 Logan Smith (USC) def. #92 Peter Bertran (USF) - 6-2, 6-3*
(4) Jack Jaede (USC) def. Justin Roberts (USF) - 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 susp.
(5) Thibault Forget (USC) vs. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) - 6-4, 2-4 susp.
(6) Riley Smith (USC) def. Pierre Luquet (USF) - 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 6, 3*