No. 12 USC Men On Point In 4-1 Win Over No. 15 Oklahoma|
March 19, 2016
INDIAN WELLS, CALIF. — The No. 12 USC men’s tennis team made a power move against No. 15 Oklahoma, responding in force when the Sooners nabbed the first match of the day as the Trojans pressed on to a 4-1 victory today. As a part of the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis Challenge presented by Oracle, the Trojans and the Sooners tangled in Indian Wells, Calif. The USC victory improves the Trojans to 9-3 overall as they now set up to continue action in Indian Wells with a 10 a.m. bout against No. 21 Baylor tomorrow (March 20).
The Sooners were able to make the first move in the match with a win on court one in doubles play, but the Trojans stepped up to the challenge. On court two, USC’s senior-freshman tandem of #80 Max de Vroome and Jake DeVine buckled down for a 7-5 win over Ghilea/Papa. Next, it was a young pairing of Trojans who sealed the deal. Freshman Jack Jaede and sophomore Tanner Smith shocked their Sooner opponents Biro/Mora by staying the course and finishing off a 7-5 win of their own to make it a 1-0 USC advantage.
In singles the streaking sophomore #91 Thibault Forget would capture his ninth consecutive singles win with an authoritative 6-2, 6-1 win over #92 Max Mora on court five. At the No. 2 spot, #35 Nick Crystal had a straight-set victory of his own lying in wait, as the junior dished out a 6-3, 7-5 win over Alex Ghilea to make it a 3-0 USC advantage. Oklahoma would tack its first point on the board next and cut the USC lead down to 3-1 when Andre Biro made a comeback to beat USC freshman Laurens Verboten 1-6, 6-0, 6-3 on court six. His fellow freshman #113 Jake DeVine was there to patch things up with a comeback finish from court three. DeVine whipped up a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 clincher over Spencer Papa to secure the Trojan victory at 4-1. That left the remaining singles matches suspended in three-setters.
USC now turns to face No. 21 Baylor tomorrow (March 20) at 10 a.m. in Indian Wells. Live scoring for that match will be available at www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-tennis/livestats.html
BNP PARIBAS OPEN COLLEGIATE CHALLENGE PRESENTED BY ORACLE
#12 USC 4, #15 Oklahoma 1
March 19, 2016 - Indian Wells, Calif.
(1) #46 Alvarez/Harris (OKLA) def. #74 Crystal/Verboven (USC) - 6-2
(2) #80 de Vroome/DeVine (USC) def. Ghilea/Papa (OKLA) - 7-5
(3) Jaede/T. Smith (USC) def. Biro/Mora (OKLA) - 7-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #32 Max de Vroome (USC) vs. #41 Axel Alvarez (OKLA) - 6-4, 4-6, 4-5 susp.
(2) #35 Nick Crystal (USC) def. Alex Ghilea (OKLA) - 6-3, 7-5
(3) #113 Jake DeVine (USC) def. Spencer Papa (OKLA) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-4*
(4) #40 Logan Smith (USC) vs. FLorin Bragusi (OKLA) - 4-6, 6-3, 5-2 susp.
(5) #91 Thibault Forget (USC) def. #92 Max Mora (OKLA) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Andre Biro (OKLA) def. Laurens Verboven (USC) - 1-6, 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 2, 6, 3*