No. 5 USC Men Slip Up 4-1 At No. 19 Stanford|
April 7, 2017
PALO ALTO, CALIF. — The No. 5 USC men’s tennis team suffered its first Pac-12 loss with today’s 4-1 defeat at the hands of No. 19 host Stanford in Palo Alto. USC was able to snag a tight doubles point, but the Cardinal fired off a string of four straight-set singles wins to top the Trojans. USC goes to 19-4 overall and to 2-1 in Pac-12 play with the loss.
USC got out of the gates with a win from Rob Bellamy and Jack Jaede at the No. 3 spot on the doubles courts. Their 6-4 win over Sutter/Wilczynski got USC an early boost, but Stanford was undeterred. The Cardinal countered with a 6-4 win on court one as Fawcett/Goldberg toppled USC’s top guns, #11 freshmen Brandon Holt and Riley Smith to tangle up the doubles action. On court two, USC’s Nick Crystal and Laurens Verboven dug in when it counted and punched up the opening point for the Trojan cause with their 7-5 decision over Stanford’s #69 Genender/Kumar.
In singles, Stanford was all business, claiming the first sets every court. The Cardinal would hit the gas from there, as Sameer Kumar leveled the match at 1-1 with his 6-4, 6-2 win over USC’s #109 senior Nick Crystal on court two. Soon after, David Wilczynski took out another ranked Trojan with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over #65 Logan Smith at the No. 2 spot to take the Cardinal up 2-1. On court one, Stanford’s #17 Tom Fawcett posted a 6-4, 6-2 win over USC’s #19 Brandon Holt to make it 3-1, setting up the Cardinal for the clincher. On court five, Brandon Sutter decided the match in Stanford’s favor with his 7-6, 6-1 win over USC’s Thibault Forget, getting the hosts the victory and suspending action on courts four and six.
The Trojans will look to get back in winning mode tomorrow (April 8) with a visit to Berkeley to take on No. 12 California at 1 p.m.
#19 Stanford 4, #5 USC 1
April 7, 2017 | Palo Alto, Calif.
(1) Fawcett/Goldberg (STAN) def. #11 Holt/R. Smith (USC) 6-4
(2) Crystal/Verboven (USC) def. #69 Genender/Kumar - 7-5
(3) Bellamy/Jaede (USC) def. Sutter/Wilczynski (STAN) - 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #17 Tom Fawcett (STAN) def. #19 Brandon Holt (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
(2) Sameer Kumar (STAN) def. #109 Nick Crystal (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
(3) David Wilczynski (STAN) def. #65 Logan Smith (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(4) Jack Jaede (USC) vs. #110 Michael Genender (STAN) - 6-7, 3-3 susp.
(5) Brandon Sutter (STAN) def. Thibault Forget (USC) - 7-6, 6-1*
(6) Riley Smith (USC) vs. William Genesen (STAN) - 1-6, 6-4, 2-1 susp.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 5*