No. 7 USC Men Power Up For Pac-12 Quarterfinal Win Over Utah|
April 27, 2017
OJAI, CALIF. -- The No. 7 USC men's tennis team punched up a spot in tomorrow's semifinal bout at the Pac-12 Championships in Ojai, Calif., with a smooth 4-0 sweep of Utah in today's quarterfinal round. Up against the Utes for the second time in under two weeks, the Trojans stayed the course and were well in control of the match, held at Libbey Park. A speedy doubles point was followed by a string of singles wins to charge up the No. 3 seeded Trojans for a clash with No. 2 seeded and No. 10 ranked California tomorrow (April 27) at 3 p.m. USC carries a 23-5 overall record into the semis after today's victory.
Setting the tone for the winning day for the Trojans was the ever-reliable No. 3 doubles pair of Rob Bellamy and Jack Jaede. The duo drummed up its 10th consecutive win with a resounding 6-0 sweep of Utah's Sierra/Woolley. Soon after, USC's top guns, #11 Brandon Holt and Riley Smith, churned out a 6-2 decision on court one over Micevski/Weverink to plug a point on the board for USC and suspend #80 Nick Crystal and Laurens Verboven's match on court two.
In singles, it was that freshman tandem of Holt and Smith who kept their winning touch and cruised on to tack the next points on the scoreboard for the Trojans. The #23 Holt whipped up a 6-4, 6-4 win on court one over Utah's David Micevski to make it a 2-0 advantage for USC. Later, Riley Smith got the job done over on court six, rolling right along to a 6-1, 7-6 victory over Joe Woolley to put the Trojans in striking distance of that semifinal slot. On court five, it was Thibault Forget who closed out the day's action in registering the clincher for Trojans on a 7-6, 6 decision over Utah's Parker McGuiness. That made it a 4-0 final to advance the Trojans in the Pac-12 tourney bracket, while play was suspended on courts two, three and four.
2017 PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIPS (Libbey Park | Ojai, Calif.)
#7 USC 4, Utah 0
April 27, 2017 | Libbey Park (Ojai, Calif.)
(1) #11 Holt/R. Smith (USC) def. Micevski/Weverink (UTAH) - 6-2
(2) #80 Crystal/Verboven (USC) vs. Little/Parker (UTAH) - 4-3 susp.
(3) Bellamy/Jaede (USC) def. Sierra/Woolley (UTAH) - 6-0
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1
(1) #23 Brandon Holt (USC) def. David Micevski (UTAH) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) Nick Crystal (USC) vs. Dan Little (UTAH) - 6-2, 3-6, 3-5 susp.
(3) #82 Logan Smith (USC) vs. Slava Shainyan (UTAH) - 7-6, 3-6, 1-1 susp.
(4) Jack Jaede (USC) vs. Santiago Sierra (UTAH) - 6-2, 4-6, 2-4 susp.
(5) Thibault Forget (USC) def. Parker McGuiness (UTAH) - 7-6, 6-3*
(6) Riley Smith (USC) def. Joe Woolley (UTAH) - 6-1, 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 6, 5*