LAX Postgame Notes: USC vs. Saint Mary's College|
The Women of Troy opened the 2017 season with a win over Saint Mary’s College at McAlister Field
Feb. 11, 2017
- USC improved to 5-0 all-time against Saint Mary's College. The Trojans have outscored the Gaels, 95-24, in the five games.
- The Gaels' loss extended SMC's losing streak to 31 consecutive games dating back to the end of the 2014 season.
- The Trojans improved to 2-3 in season openers and won their second opener in a row. USC also improved to 5-0 in MPSF openers and 5-0 in MPSF home openers.
- The win was USC's 18th straight home victory (16 at McAlister Field). The Trojans are 24-8 all-time at McAlister Field.
- The Trojans faced a conference opponent in their first game of the season for the first time and started a season on McAlister Field for only the second time.
- USC's 18-goal margin of victory matches the third-highest margin in program history. The Trojans also won by 18 against Fresno State (April 20, 2013) and LIU Brooklyn (March 9, 2014). USC won by 19 (vs. Stetson; Feb. 13, 2016) and by 20 (vs. Presbyterian; Feb. 15, 2013) for the two largest margins in the school record books.
- Senior attacker Michaela Michael scored three goals for her 27th-career game with three goals or more; the most by any player in program history. She was previously tied with Caroline deLyra with 26 each.
- Michael also scored her 159th-career goal to move into first (ahead of deLyra) for most in USC career history.
- 12 different Trojans scored goals against Saint Mary's College. It was the third time in program history that USC has had at least 12 players score in the same game. The Trojans also had 12 scorers against SMC on March 20, 2015. The program record is 13 scorers when USC defeated LIU Brooklyn, 22-4, on March 9, 2014.
- USC scored four goals in 33 seconds between 26:36 and 26:03 to build a 5-0 lead. The time between USC's second and third goals was just nine seconds (26:36 and 26:27). The time between the third and fourth goal was another 13 seconds (26:27 to 26:14). And the time between the fourth and fifth goals of the game was 11 seconds (26:14 to 26:03).