USC Women Beat Baylor 4-0 In Indian Wells|
March 19, 2016
INDIAN WELLS, CALIF. — The No. 48 USC women’s tennis team captured its fourth straight victory with a decisive 4-0 shutdown of No. 52 Baylor in today’s edition of the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Challenge presented by Oracle in Indian Wells. The Women of Troy grabbed the doubles point and then hit the gas in singles with three straight-set victories to punch up the win. USC is now 7-4 overall.
USC’s doubles depth helped the Trojans counter a loss on court one, where Baylor’s #17 Generette/Shankle upended USC’s #8 Giuliana Olmos and Gabby Smith. Both Women of Troy would rebound with key singles wins later, while their teammates came through in the clutch on the doubles courts to help USC along to the early lead. Freshman tandem Jessica Failla and Rianna Valdes opened the day with a swift shutout of Bears Van Zyl/Profit to give USC the first lift. After Olmos and Smith fell on court one, the first point would come down to Zoë Katz and Madison Westby on court two. The Trojan pair dug in for a win in a tiebreaker, claiming a 7-6 (2) win over Baylor’s Newborn/Traxler to tack a 1-0 lead on the board for USC.
In singles, the Trojans were in complete control. On court four, #90 Gabby Smith got in a winning groove and rolled out a 6-1, 6-2 win over Kelley Anderson to make it a 2-0 USC lead. At the No. 6 spot, #111 Rianna Valdes stayed in winning form and issued a commanding 6-2, 6-1 win over Theresa Van Zyl, and the Trojans were a win away from victory with a 3-0 lead. Cue #25 Giuliana Olmos. The senior had shrugged off her doubles loss and was in fine form in singles as she left Baylor’s Kiah Generette behind and inked the clincher for the Trojans on a 6-2, 6-4 win that made it 4-0 and suspended play on the remaining courts.
The Women of Troy return to Los Angeles now to set up for a Pac-12 matchup against Oregon. USC will host the Ducks at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (March 25) at Marks Stadium.
BNP PARIBAS OPEN COLLEGIATE CHALLENGE PRESENTED BY ORACLE
#48 USC 4, #52 Baylor 0
March 19, 2016 - Indian Wells, Calif.
(1) #17 Shankle/Generette (Baylor) def. #8 Olmos/Smith (USC) - 6-2
(2) Katz/Westby (USC) def. Newborn/Traxler (Baylor) - 7-6 (2)
(3) Failla/Valdes (USC) def. Van Zyl/Profit (Baylor) - 6-0
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) #25 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Kiah Generette (Baylor) - 6-2, 6-4*
(2) #101 Madison Westby (USC) vs. Rhiann Newborn (Baylor) - 6-2, 6-5 susp.
(3) Zoë Katz (USC) vs. Blair Shankle (Baylor) - 4-6, 4-3 susp.
(4) #90 Gabby Smith (USC) def. Kelley Anderson (Baylor) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) #125 Jessica Failla (USC) vs. Karina Traxler (Baylor) - 7-6 susp.
(6) #111 Rianna Valdes (USC) def. Theresa Van Zyl (Baylor) - 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*