WVB Post-Match Notes: USC at Pacific|
Junior outside hitter Samantha Bricio was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player
Aug. 31, 2014
- USC improved to 9-10 in its all-time series with Pacific.
- The Trojans won the 2014 Community Bankers Volleyball Classic with a 3-0 record in the tourney.
- Junior OH Samantha Bricio, freshman OH Lauryn Gillis, and junior middle blocker Alicia Ogoms were each named to the all-tournament team. Bricio received Most Valuable Player honors.
- USC’s 21.0 team blocks matched a nearly 10-year-old mark last reached on Sept. 25, 2004 (vs. Washington), when the Trojans also had 21.0 thanks to 18 blocks by All-American MB Emily Adams.
- Three Trojans logged double-double matches against the Tigers: Bricio (11 kills, 13 digs), Gillis (15 kills, 16 digs), and Crone (32 assists, 12 digs). It was the 24th double-double of Bricio’s career; the 15th of Crone’s career.
- Ogoms’ eight total blocks set a new career-high for the junior middle blocker.
- Bricio collected three service aces in a single match for the 20th time in her career.
- Bricio pushed her career service aces total to 142 to move into third place, ahead of Alex Jupiter (2008-11) who had 140 in her career.April Ross (2000-03) sits in second place with 161 and Nancy Hillman (1985-88) is USC’s all-time leader with 170 career aces.