WVB Post-Match Notes: USC vs. Creighton|
The Women of Troy took down No. 22 Creighton in five sets to win their third straight match
Sept. 4, 2016
- The Women of Troy claimed the USC Radisson Classic title.
- Freshman OH Khalia Lanier, senior MB Elise Ruddins, and senior L Taylor Whittingham were each named to the all-tournament team. Lanier was chosen as the Most Valuable Player.
- USC improved to 4-0 in all-time meetings with Creighton.
- The Trojans maintained their unblemished record against the three tourney foes and improved to 13-0 overall.
- The USC victory brings head coach Mick Haley just five wins from reaching his 400th at USC (395-98). It also puts the program at just eight wins from reaching the 1,000-win threshold.
- The Trojans won their third straight match and claimed a victory over its second top-25 ranked opponent.
- Whittingham finished with 27 digs and pushed her career digs total to 1,327 to move into seventh all-time in the USC record books. In the process, she went ahead of Jennifer Kessy (1995-98; 1,311 digs) and Samantha Bricio (2012-15; 1,318 digs).
- Lanier produced her fourth double-double in five matches (her third consecutive such match) and finished with season-high marks of 21 kills, 17 digs, and 24.0 points.
- Junior MB Jordan Dunn recorded new career highs with 11.0 points and eight kills.
- Junior OPP Brittany Abercrombie matched her career high with six blocks.