WVB NCAA Post-Match Notes: USC vs. Hawai'i (2016 First Round)|
The Women of Troy completed the season with an 18-14 overall record
Dec. 2, 2016
- USC was making its school-record 26th consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament (34th overall).
- The Women of Troy fell to 122-38 (.763) in all-time postseason matches and 76-31 (.710) in NCAA tournament matches.
- The Trojans lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1989 and for the first time under head coach Mick Haley (15-1).
- USC fell to 18-22 in all-time meetings with Hawai'i (4-6 in postseason matches). The last three matches between the Trojans and the Rainbow Wahine have gone five sets.
- The Trojans were playing their first-ever match in the state of Minnesota.
- USC played its third consecutive five-set match; its fourth in five matches; and fifth in its last nine matches. USC finished the season 3-4 in five-set matches. The seven five-set matches are the most played by the team since it had nine in 2010.
- The Trojans fall to 9-16 in five-set matches played in the NCAA tournament and have been eliminated in five-set matches each of the last two years and three of the last four years.
- USC's fourth straight loss matches the most in a row under head coach Mick Haley. It has happened only two other times under his direction (2009 and 2014).
- The Trojans were without sophomore OH Alyse Ford and junior MB Jordan Dunn. Dunn was a last-minute scratch.
- USC put up double-digit blocks (11.0) for the 14th time this season.
- Freshman OH Khalia Lanier posted her 16th double-double of the season with 26 kills and 13 digs. Lanier also had two service aces, and two blocks (one solo) for a career-high 29.5 points.
- Lanier recorded her 30th double-digit points match of the season (out of 32 matches).
- Lanier finishes the season with 1,406 attacks, which ranks third in single-season school history. Samantha Bricio (2015) had 1,615 in first; and Asia Kaczor (2007) had 1,542 in second.
- Senior libero Taylor Whittingham recorded her fourth-career 30-dig match and finished with a season-high 32 digs. She registered her 28th match this season in double digits for digs.
- Whittingham ends her season with 538 digs, which ranks ninth in USC's single-season record books. She now owns the fifth most (611 in 2015), the seventh most (571 in 2014), and the ninth most digs in single-season school history. She and All-Americans Natalie Hagglund and Debora Seilhamer each have three of the top 10 single-season performances.
- Whittingham matched her career high with three service aces.
- Junior setter Reni Meyer-Whalley scored her ninth double-double of the season with 31 assists and 12 digs.
- Sophomore DS Victoria Garrick had her sixth match in double digits for digs (14).
- Sophomore MB Madison Murtagh started her sixth match this season and finished with a season-high seven blocks.